Monday, January 17, 2011

Creamy Cheesy Potato, Ham, and Broccoli Chowder

As you know I’ve not been blogging for the past few months. The holidays snuck up on us. Vegas weather turned very cold as did many other areas in the country. We have also had more than our share of rain. The mountains are covered with the last bit of snow. However I predict the cold will return. We got up to 70 today which I think is also a record.
We are football fans, college and pro. This past weekend we did not move from in front of the TV watching the four games. We only have the playoffs left this Sunday then the Super Bowl. I am not a fan of the Pro Bowl so we won’t be watching that one.
I have been writing recipes and testing them out. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing my warm comforting dishes I enjoy cooking in the winter. Haven’t decided on my menu for Super Sunday but will post when I decide.
February will be a month full of events. Last two football games, Chinese New Years and Valentine’s Day. I am going to try some new dishes for all of them.
Until next time I hope you enjoy my Creamy Cheesy, Potato, Ham and Broccoli Chowder.
Enough cold water to cover the
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
14 ounces chicken broth
1 cup broccoli florets, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 teaspoon basil
salt and pepper
2 cups Velveeta, cubed
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 cup ham, diced small
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup bacon, crumbled
fresh parsley, minced

1.In large pan add cold water and potatoes. Cook until tender. Drain potatoes and return to pan

2.Set aside 1 cup of the cooked potatoes.

3. Add chicken broth, broccoli, onion, carrot, and celery simmer until tender.

4.Add basil, salt, pepper and Velveeta. Simmer until cheese is melted.

5.Stir together flour and half-and-half; stir into soup. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

6.Blend until smooth. Add ham and the one cup of potatoes that were set aside, and heat. Ladle into bowls.

7.Garnish with cheddar cheese, bacon and fresh parsley. Serve immediately

Note: If chowder is too thick add a little more chicken broth. To thin, thicken with a tablespoon of flour.

No comments: