Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sandi's, Mac and 12 Cheese Casserole

I love Mac and Cheese. I have quite a few favorite recipes, but this is my favorite. It is not for everyone due to the expense and the amount of cheese I use. But if you want something spectacular for a special occasion this will do the trick. Every time I make it for my friends the dish is empty by the end of dinner. I try and make this version twice a year. But if one of my friends requests this one, I would gladly make it.
Ciao!

1 pound elbow macaroni
7 eggs, beaten 

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup Velveeta, cubed

3 cups half and half
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 cup Fontina cheese
1/2 cup gruyere cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Asiago Cheese
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup Muenster cheese
1/2 cup goat cheese
3/4 cup white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano, grated
kosher salt, to taste
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup panko
2 tablespoons butter, melted


1. Preheat oven to 350.  
2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook 10 minutes. Do not cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside cover to keep warm.  
3. Add the melted butter, Velveeta and 1 and 1/2 cups half and half to bowl of eggs. Gently toss in the warm macaroni folding until cheese is slightly melted and as smooth as possible. Add remaining ingredients except the last two cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
 4. Pour mixture into a 4 quart baking dish.  
 Topping 
5. Toss panko crumbs and melted butter together. Top Mac and Cheese and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: