Sunday, January 3, 2010

Las Vegas Pizza Review

The Holiday’s are over. Sniff!
Check out my first Vegas Restaurant review below. Here is hoping your Holiday’s were fantastic and this next year is bigger, better and brighter for all of us.
We spent our last day watching football (of course) and having the best Pizza on the Universe.
I was asked what my favorite movie was in the last few years. Then I thought who cares? But ok I will play. I have many but a few really stand out. I figure if you watch them over and over and over then that means you really, really love them right?
A contender is “21” If you know me you know why. If you don’t it’s not that important.
The runner up is Julia/Julia. If you really, really know me this comes as absolutely no surprise. Hint- (I love cooking)
My all time favorite anytime, any year is the Matrix Series. We watched a couple tonight while enjoying the best Pizza ever. You know it has to be good if Dan drives 30 minutes one way to get it. (we usually dine there) Actually I am surprised he made it home with the pie intact.
As a past owner of a Pizza Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio I felt my recipe came very close to the pizza’s I grew up with. “Gino’s” pizza topped them all back in the 60’s. Ohio has always been known for their fabulous Italian food. Maybe that’s why I try and make my Italian cuisine as close to their recipes as I can. I judge a really good all around Italian Restaurant by their meatballs. The second test is the Sunday Gravy. (Red Sauce) Riccardo’s in Columbus won the Meatball and Sunday Gravy test. The original Riccardo’s has been closed for awhile now. With that being said let me tell you about a Pizza Restaurant that opened in Vegas a few months ago. It is called Ciao Ciao APIZZA ANGELATO. The restaurant is unique and if you like football or any sport then you will love the 22 (50”) Hi-Def Flat Screen TV’s. For the celebrity buffs they have walls and walls of Celebrity Memorabilia. Lots of the Rat Pack stuff along with the great boxers etc. Ok now for the food. I can only speak about the Pizza, Salad, and Gelato. There isn’t a Deep Dish Pizza to be found. But the thin crust abounds. While they offer many, many Flame-Fired Pizza’s in many variety’s we always get “The Bomb” A Meat Lovers Dream. This is whats on this masterpiece “Their Margherita with Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Homemade Meatballs, Sautéed Green Peppers, Onions, Fresh Ricotta Cheese, Imported Italians Tomato Sauce, Olive Oil & Garlic. Sprinkled with Italian Parmesan” But it is the pepperoni!! Three inch round thin sliced, imported and sent daily to the restaurant. I have never tasted anything like it. In fact I don’t think I can ever look at another grocery store or pizza shops pepperoni. Ok enough of this! I am making myself hungry again. Let’s move on to the rabbit food. Ciao’s Chopped House Salad is truly a meal in its self. So I have enough for tomorrow. This thing is a monster. “Chopped Romaine Lettuce, Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, Artichoke Hearts, Avocado, Gorgonzola, Shredded Mozzarella, Hand-Cut Salami, Garbanzo Beans, Fried Onion Rings & House Dressing.” I am not really sold on the dressing mainly because I like a bit more olive oil. So ask for a little extra if you don’t care for a true vinaigrette. Now for the dessert. I love Italian Ice Cream. No preservatives all natural. Again the best was at Riccardo’s in Columbus and they made it daily. Italian Pistachio. When they offered me a sample I think I had a tear fall from my eye. Yep I am almost positive it was a tear. Dan had the Tiramisu which had Ladyfingers and Kahlua folded throughout. My friend Anne makes the best Tiramisu, but I even think she will drool over this. (and yes they have Sorbetto, and all made fresh daily.)
I can only report on what we have tasted. But they have so many other options to choose from and they seem to be adding more dishes monthly. So next time you are in Las Vegas you must try this Restaurant. If you are visiting us, we must, we will go there. www.ciaociaopizza.com
Until next time Ciao my friends

No comments: